Barclays Debit Cards
Barclays Debit Cards
Barclays Debit Cards
Choose from a variety of Debit cards:
- Personal Standard
With your Barclays Debit card, you have access to your account anytime in Ghana, online and anywhere in the world, wherever you see the VISA sign.
Paying for purchases in shops
Use your Barclays Debit card to pay for goods and services wherever VISA is accepted. Ensure to check that the amount on the terminal tallies with your purchases before entering your PIN or signing the sales slip. You can spend up to the available balance on your account, or the amount of any agreed overdraft if applicable.
Paying for purchases in online
You can use your Barclays Debit card to pay for goods and services online wherever VISA is accepted. We strongly recommend that you ensure that the merchant is a reputable one and that the website is secure. Before entering your card details, check that the website address changes from http to https, indicating that the transmission of the card information from your browser to the server is encrypted.
Using your card overseas
You can use your Barclays Debit card to pay for goods and services at over 38 million locations in over 200 countries worldwide, wherever VISA is accepted. You can also withdraw cash from over 1 million ATMs worldwide.
While VISA is accepted worldwide, we recommend that you always have a backup such as cash or travellers cheques with you when travelling.
Transactions done in foreign currencies
Your foreign transactions with your cards are converted into Ghana Cedis at the prevailing exchange on the date it is received by VISA.
A foreign exchange mark-up fee and any new VISA processing fees are included in the Ghana Cedi conversion on your statement. Overseas ATM withdrawals are treated in the same way.
Further information on fees and charges can be obtained from our Tariff Guide.
Making cash deposits with your Barclays Debit card
You can use your Barclays Debit Card to make deposits at any Barclays Ghana ATM that accepts cash. The cash accepting ATMs are available 24/7. You can make cash deposits as many times as you may want in a day. There isn’t a limit on the amount you may want to deposit.
Keeping track of your finances with your Barclays Debit card
Whenever you use your Barclays Debit Card to pay for purchases, your statement will show the name of the merchant where the transaction took place, the date and transaction amount. We also monitor transactions to protect you against your card being used fraudulently. Make sure that your contact details are up to date so that we can contact you in case we suspect fraudulent activity or notice unusual spending patterns on your card.
Travel Insurance on your Barclays Debit cards
As a BPL, Prestige and Premier Debit cardholder, you enjoy free international travel insurance. Pick up your travel insurance letter from your nearest Barclays branch.
Exclusively on your Premier and Prestige Debit cards
You earn Worldmiles when you pay with your Premier and Prestige Debit cards, instead of paying with cash. These reward points are redeemable for airline flights and hotel bookings. Details of our Worldmiles Programme and the terms and conditions that apply are available on www.worldmilesafrica.com
*Extended Warranty: Provides coverage by extending the manufacturer’s warranty on an insured item purchased with your Platinum Debit Card. Visit www.visacemea.com for more information.
*Purchase Protection: In the event of loss through theft, fire and /or accidental damage to an eligible item purchased with your Platinum Debit Card, we will, at our option, replace or repair the eligible item or credit your account an amount not exceeding the purchase price of the eligible item. Visit www.visacemea.com for more information
*Emergency Card Services: When you're abroad, a minor problem can easily become a crisis. But whether you lose your Platinum Debit Card or cash, we can put you in touch with the help you need for Emergency card cancellation, replacement and cash disbursement. Visit www.visacemea.com for more details.
Your PIN is a 4 digit code that you need to enter when withdrawing cash at ATMs and when paying for purchases at some Point of Sale terminals. When you apply for a card, we give you the chance to create your own PIN. Ensure that this number is one that is memorable but cannot be easily guessed, e.g. 1234, 0000 or your date of birth.
You’ll have three consecutive chances to enter your PIN correctly, even if it’s at three separate ATMs or three separate shops. If you make a mistake you get the chance to try again. To protect your card against fraudulent use, we will lock your PIN after the third failed attempt.
If your PIN has been locked, you will need to visit your nearest Barclays branch or call our Contact Centre (registered customers only) to unlock your PIN.
Protecting Your Card and PIN
- Remember that your card is your cash and you need to treat your card the same way as you would cash by never leaving it unattended.
- Sign your card the moment you receive it.
- Destroy any old cards.
- Do not keep your card and cheque book together.
- Keep your card transaction receipts safe and dispose of them carefully.
- Check your statements regularly and contact us immediately if you notice any transactions that you don’t recognise.
- We monitor your transactions for fraudulent activity and may need to contact you if we suspect any fraud. To assist us, please ensure that we have your up-to-date contact details.
- Memorise your PIN.
- Never tell anyone or write down your PIN.
- We will never ask you for your PIN, so never quote it to any of our staff or in any correspondence to us.
- When entering your PIN on an ATM or on a PIN pad in a shop, shield your hands so that anyone nearby will not be able to see what you are typing on the keypad.
- Do not allow anyone else to use your card or PIN.
- If you suspect that someone knows your PIN, change it immediately at any Barclays ATMs in Ghana.
- On completing a cash withdrawal transaction, discreetly put your money and card away.
- Be vigilant of others around you when using an ATM. Avoid using the ATM if you notice any suspicious looking individuals loitering around the ATM.
- Do not take advice from 'helpful' strangers that happen to be standing near an ATM, especially if your card has been unexpectedly retained.
- If anything looks suspicious or unusual when you are at the ATM then do not use it. Instead call our Contact Centre if the ATM belongs to Barclays or move a reasonable distance from the machine and call the police if it belongs to another bank.
- Contact us immediately if your card is retained by an ATM for an unknown reason.
If your card is lost or stolen
Contact us on +233 30 2429 150 or 0800 222 333 (Vodafone/MTN Toll Free) immediately if your card is lost or stolen and we will block your card. A dedicated Customer Service Team is on call 24/7 to attend to any of your queries and requests for assistance. * To get a replacement card you will need to visit any Barclays branch, bringing along with you a valid identification document.
Other security precautions you can take
Store and dispose of information about your accounts such as correspondences from us to you, account statements and card transaction receipts carefully. Fraudsters use many methods such as ‘dumpster diving’ or ‘bin raiding’ to get this type of information, which they may use to commit identity theft. Always ensure that we always have your current address for sending your statements and correspondences so that they do not end up in the wrong hands.
You can apply at any Barclays Branch nationwide.
* Terms & Conditions Apply